The UNC System Math Pathways Task Force will develop recommendations and processes that support the efforts of each UNC institution to offer pathways that yield increased student success and learning in gateway mathematics and statistics courses. These recommendations will enhance learning and result in a higher percentage of students who complete the appropriate course(s) for intended degree programs in a timely manner.
Essential components toward fulfilling this charge include the following:
- Convene faculty leaders to ensure that rigorous gateway mathematics courses are aligned with programs of study.
- Partner with faculty across academic disciplines to identify, develop, and align rigorous and relevant courses to support student success across diverse disciplinary programs and majors.
- Communicate with academic advisors and others who influence student class schedules about the newly proposed pathways.
- Engage campuses in the goals of the UNC System Math Pathways project. Develop strategies to communicate the recommendations of the UNC Math Pathways Task Force to appropriate professional organizations, state decision makers, university leaders, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Assess and develop mechanisms for collecting and analyzing data to measure effectiveness of existing and new gateway math courses.
- Examine and identify appropriate and effective math placement criteria.
- Review policies and courses to improve effective transferability and applicability of credits for students moving among institutions of higher education.
- Engage K–12 and North Carolina Community College System partners in the UNC System Math Pathways project.
- Champion newly developed math pathways and provide professional development, cross–campus communication, and opportunities for connection to support faculty in teaching these courses.